Sunday 16 October 2011

Lostprophets: I've turned Welsh this weekend

I am a big Lostprophets fan: I sing without a reason to love to Last Train Home, scream my heart out to Rooftops and make it through each day singing their most recent hit ... For He's A Jolly Good Felon? But only now that I'm truly in touch with my Welsh ancestry do I feel I should declare my previously undiscovered nationalist love of them to you lovely people.

Firstly I must warn you that if you didn't watch the Wales-France match (even though that's only like 1% of the population) then you may struggle to understand some of the connections featured in this post. My first loose link to the game is that the song's called Bring 'Em Down and the Welsh defence certainly did that. This track has so much potential to do great things; Lee Gaze's guitar skills plough through that crowd like Mike Phillips bulldozed the French back row and Luke Johnson smashes those drums in the same way that skipper Sam Warburton menaced Vincent Clerc to the ground. But do you see anyone trying to send Ian Watkins' boys off?


And that's not the only difference between the match and the song; Lostprophets wasted nowhere near as many opportunities as the Welsh did. They've got six very talented men and they bring the best out of all of them: violent vocals, raging riffs, dirty drums and scary synths. There aren't that many niceties in this new song.

And I know that you know that I know that you know someone who thinks hard rock consists of a topless shaggy punk screaming down a microphone and that the lyrics to all hardcore bands' songs go along the lines of "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! RA RA RAA RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Well then you should play them this song. Do I hear Rou Reynolds shouting at any point in this song (although, now it's been playlisted, I can't wait to see how the Chris Moyles fans react to Sssnakepit)? Oh look, another similarity; both the Wales team and Lostprophets know how to draw in a crowd, get them singing and give them a show they'll never forget.


So what do they both have ahead of them. Wales can still come third if the beat the Aussies on Friday and then they've got some training to cram in before the Six Nations this February. And that'll be when they next come face to face with France for their last match of the competition. But this is Bedge Music so I probably should point out that Lostprophets are appearing on Labrinth's debut album Furtherworks, the band's fifth album should be out early 2012 and you can next catch the band ... oh Australia again at Soundwave in February.

No comments:

Post a Comment