Tuesday 26 April 2011

MAKE SOME NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOISE

"MAKE SOME NOISE!" It's one of those hip-hop clichés I can't stand. Many an episode of Graham Norton I have found myself shouting back to the latest American one-hit blunder (most recently P. Diddy) that if they want me to make some noise they should concentrate on making a decent single. But, as with every rule, there are exceptions. The Big Dog Tim Westwood can "MAKE SOME NOISE" at me till hell freezes over.

And now, it seems, The Beastie Boys with their incredible new single called (you guessed it) Make Some Noise. Looking at the US hip-hop charts (Chris Brown, Kanye West, Nicki Minaj) nothing compares with these guys. It's gone for a rebellious record and has hit it spot on. Being Zane Lowe's Record of the Week last week and his Hottest Record In The World, I'd heard it enough times and yet it wasn't until something like the fifth time of it being played that I realised the song was called Make Some Noise instead of Zane giving it extra hype.

I wasn't listening to the vocals (not that the Beasties aren't world class rappers) because I was focused on that amazing hook on Ad-Rock's guitar with Mix Master Mike. The instruments in this track are brilliant - big up the cow bell. So I'm a bit upset that Passion Pit have scrapped them for some cheesy electropop rubbish that sounds completely out of place with the vocals on top.

The masculine music video is a celebrity explosion: Johnny Knoxville, Seth Rogen, Elijah Wood, Danny McBride and Maya Ruldoph just to name a few. The new album Hot Sauce Committee Part 2 (Part 1 was cancelled due MCA developing cancer) is out May 3 and if you pre-order it now you can get a free t-shirt! And even better if you go to the Beastie Boys Website you can listen to it all for free because the clean version got leaked.

Both the album and single are a major blow in the UK vs US hip-hop battle; but we're not out yet. I'll let Tinie Tempah's new single with Travis Barker have the last word where that's concerned!

No comments:

Post a Comment