Monday 27 May 2013

New Band of the Week #6: Georgia Ruth


Who plays the harp in this day and age? Georgia Ruth, that's who. And beautifully well too. Harping on in both English and Welsh (sorry I couldn't resist), Ruth enchants her listeners using a soft, acoustic tranquillity that took my breath away immediately. Adorably rustic, her renditions of traditional folk standards and shanties are ironically some of the most refreshing works I've heard in time.
 
 

I first discovered Georgia whilst listening to Huw Stephens' Radio 1 show before later learning that she, like Huw, also presents the C2 programme on BBC Radio Cymru, which is a little cheeky if you ask me (it would be like somebody making a music website that focuses predominantly on Northampton artists just because they live there). Her debut album 'Week of Pines' is out now.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment