Sunday 20 May 2012

Northants Unsigned Fest: Quarter Finals #3 (10/5/12)

Slither out of your stereo? I think not. These guys'll erupt from your speakers in a burst of awesomeness, roaring out and rocking out with a set list full of head bangers that sound both incredibly tight and incredibly ferocious. With Grant Sharpe screaming his heart out over the top, Silver Stereo are looking to be a fairly formidable opponent in the Unsigned Fest final.


Prince's Street
I can't be sure exactly how much blue blood there is in Princes Street, but if you're a fan of a rocky Oasis then they ought to be right up your, umm, street. Brimming with energy, it's near impossible to hate the power-packed indie four piece - and when they start verging on rock 'n' roll it really begins to sound ace. More Manic Street Preachers than E Street Band (and polar opposites to Mike Skinner) the street I'd most use to sum this band up is the chocolate kind: Qualiteee!


Voices From The Fuselage
Their voices might only come from the fuselage however the guitars are straight out of the blistering depths of the engine (with the drums mashed up somewhere around the propeller area). Soaring like a Spitfire with a Flying Fortress' destruction but altogether as innovative as a Hurricane, VFTF's experimental ambiance gives prog-metal a melodramatic atmosphere that's bowled me right over, with all the juicy bits of heavy metal still very much in tact.


Aurora Sun
I'm not entirely sure whether they're deliberately going for the awful-quality, can't-make-out-a-thing, looks-like-it's-been-recorded-by-the-biggest-quiverer-on-Earth look or not, however what I'm certain of is that Aurora Sun are are a raucous four piece fresh out of Corby, kicking up a guitar-driven storm of alt-rock goodness that could certainly benefit from a recording studio sesh. Rock on guys!


Tape
On their Facebook they call themselves "willing to fit in small spaces with minimal fuss." Well I want to put that to the test - and whilst I do that I want the awesome Lovers On Holiday on full blast in the background making me feel like some badass James Bond villain as I slowly power-stride through a smokey entrance tunnel to inflict my torture upon the trio.

In fact it's only when I plan these evil schemes of confinement that I realise, despite my bantereous irritation, if Unsigned Fest can do one thing it's provide action/spy film-ish soundtracks that, for that few minutes, transform you into your very own Roger Moore (before waking up to realise your dance moves look more like the kind of thing Jaws would do!)

No comments:

Post a Comment