Friday 23 March 2012

Wirebound: ever wondered what 21st country punk sounds like?

After a year of online silence, Northampton/Norwich/Maidenhead based six piece Wirebound are finally picking the band back up and playing their first gig tomorrow evening (Saturday 24th March) at the Labour Club. With some twangy banjo riffs and rapid violins, I envision the Labour Club jigging about having a right old barn dance when these guys burst onto the stage. There's a definite country banjo feel to their music, but it's got that little edge of punk bite that keeps it fresh, interesting and makes them stand out from the crowd.



I have to admit when I heard the lovely folk at Inspiration FM talking about a country punk band in 2012 I had my apprehensions that they'd either be a sped up Johnny Cash or try and go really modern and just blow it but it's the fact that they don't try to be relevant that means they still work in this day and age. If country dancing in school was more like this I'd've happily been heel 'n' toe-ing away!



1 comment: