Wednesday 25 January 2012

Hype, Ripe and A Load Of Tripe: a truly international affair

As a proud and dedicated Radio 1 and Guardian follower, I must listen to over two-hundred songs a week and, frankly, I can't review them all. Here are five tracks I heard over the week and think I should share with all of you guys.

HYPE - three up-and-coming artists I'm getting really excited about

Gumnaam: originally from Holland, this dubstep producer uses some of the world's meanest basslines and hardest wobbles to create nothing but a nasty underground banger. He mastered the old-skool garage infused beats for Naba Napalm's Blow Back; an absolute late night smash that criminally is not getting the respect that melody deserves.



Honningbarna: the unbelievably hectic political punk band with members from the exotic lands of Flekkerøya, Kristiansand and Bury St Edmunds created what can only be described as utter mayhem over the weekend at Eurosonic Festival. Their debut album La Alarmane Gå reached eight in the Norwegian charts for its bonkers sounding guitars and keep-out-of-reach-of-children vocals (not that, in my ignorance, I can understand a word of it). I believe the Norwegian say: i verdensklasse.


Midnight Davis: a liquefied beauty of an EP, this emerging producer has laid down every ambient electro effect under the sun, creamed them together and spooned out this undeniably soulful futuristic record. Aftershocks is one shadowy shimmer of a demo that sets Midnight Davis up for a pretty decent looking year in London's mystical bass scene.


RIPE - an old-school record that's still sounding fresh today


A LOAD OF TRIPE - a truly, truly dreadful song that I never want to hear again in my life

No comments:

Post a Comment