Sunday 23 October 2011

Young Guns: everybody dance now

This week the musical world has been graced with much exciting news. The band in question have done so much for music worldwide and this is exactly the high needed to round off Rocktober and 2011 as a whole. It was perhaps the worst kept secret of 2011 (after the Glasto line-up) but I think all the rumours just add to the brilliance. That's right folks, we shall no longer be forced to endure the awful Irish heartthrob that is Westlife! I have heard their Greatest Hits CD and I can confirm that it is completely blank. It goes without saying that I don't think I'll miss them. Will anyone?


So what better way to celebrate than with a fun, new tune from everyone's second favourite High Wycombe pop rock band after Ian Dury and the Blockheads. Learn My Lesson is just a great sounding rock song to jump about to after hearing about Westlife's demise. There's so much energy packed into it and, along with that high-quality-production polish, you can't help but bounce about a bit. Even if you're feeling down about the break up of Westlife, it'll put a smile on your face nonetheless.

Rarely do I start my pick-apart paragraph by talking about the drummer but I really feel that without Ben Jolliffe this track would have no substance whatsoever and, under scrutiny, would crumble very quickly. But that's not to say that the rest of the band don't have a big part to play in the song too; Fraser Taylor has an awesome guitar piece backed up by John Taylor's rhythm guitar skills to create an epic sounding melody for Gustav Wood to sing over with his BIG MANLY VOICE. Hell yeah I wish I had half the voice he has.



Now let's talk albums. We've squeezed all we can out of All Our Kings Are Dead and I think it's about time for something new. The new record doesn't have a name or a release date yet but I assume it'll be early next year and, by the look of Learn My Lesson, I also assume it'll be amazing. There should be a tour attached so stay tuned to the band's MySpace for more details. Basically I know nothing apart from the new single is available on iTunes now and that I doubt we'll be waiting long for a load more Young Guns news.

However much I would love to leave it at that I feel that I can't not explain the punchline of the Westlife joke if you don't understand it. Don't worry, they are splitting up, but there's some much much bigger news - The Stone Roses are getting back together for one whopper of a tour! If you've never heard of The Stone Roses think Queen and then think of today's rock. The Stone Roses were the guys who took the scene from A to B by creating Madchester along with The Happy Mondays as shown in the film 24 Hour Party People. You might recognise Fools Gold's melody from Wretch and Example's Unorthodox.

No comments:

Post a Comment