Sunday 25 September 2011

Kasabian: you'll never forget this

As well as the third part in my Fishmarket spectacular, Saturday saw the twentieth anniversary of the release of Nevermind. Nirvana did so much for rock music and, even though I wasn't born when it came out, I love the album and can still see its influences in rock music today. Rest in peace Kurt Cobain.

So there was definitely a lot of pressure on Kasabian having their new album Velociraptor! released this week. But I think they've pulled it off. I mean it's no Nevermind but, looking at Switchblade Smiles and Days Are Forgotten, it's pretty good. I've certainly enjoyed it being Zane Lowe's album of the week and the band thoroughly deserve to join some of the amazing artists (Ed Sheeran, Example, The Red Hot Chili's, Nero, Arctic Monkeys, Foo Fighters and of course Adele) to have number one albums this year. Well done boys.


Days Are Forgotten is the first proper single from the album and it's a brilliant song for us as we approach the greatest month of the all - Rocktober. That awesome guitar riff at the beginning is enough to draw you in after four bars then the vulture squawks enter and, even before Tome Meighan's started singing, you know that it's a totally unique single. A massive psychy punch in the face.

And if you thought it couldn't get any better, The G.O.A.T. himself LL Cool J has rapped on the song in the Z-Trip remix. Two early pioneers of the genres they make so well; together they've created one hell of a sixteen bar rap that slots in nicely half way through the record. I don't think I've heard a better rap-rock collaboration since Jay-Z and Linkin Park teamed up. He might be forty but LL's still killing it.

But can you really expect anything less than greatness from the band that called their third album West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum? You may call it suicide but they're being born again and I think I prefer this quirky new Kasabian better than the old one. This grown up Kasabian sound, and I don't mean they didn't before, like a proper rock band. They started in 1999 and I think there's another good ten years left until they run out of steam. Kasabian have definitely got more to them than they've already given us.

No comments:

Post a Comment