Saturday 12 October 2013

Label In The Limelight: Double Denim


I'll be the first to admit that I'm not exactly what you'd call an expert when it comes to fashion (until earlier this year I'd always assumed Vivienne Westwood was a woman) so please don't expect me to comment on what Google informs me is the number one ultimate fashion statement because I quite simply couldn't give a toss.

The label Double Denim though? Well that's certainly more my cup of tea.


London based, Double Denim head honchos Hari Ashurt and Jack Thomas have made absolutely fantastic progress over the past three years championing some of the UK's finest up-and-coming musicians, cramming their catalogue full of captivating electronic producers and innovative new guitar bands.

Star Slinger, Zulu Winter and Stay+ are merely a handful of emerging acts that have "previous history" (nothing ominous!) with the label, and the five artists on their modest yet mighty roster are all more than capable of achieving an equal level of critical acclaim, or even - like Zulu Winter - supporting Keane as they travel the globe.

Although why anyone would want to tour with Keane is quite frankly beyond me.


The talent is in such high abundance on the roster it's lethal. Unnervingly experimental, their synthpop desolates Outfit have most definitely, in my opinion, got the greatest opportunity to conquer the big time, shortly followed by creator of quirky, enchanting electronica Amateur Best (he's ready for the good life).

The sparklingly sultry Brolin is the third jewel in Double Denim's crown of electropop excellence, the fourth being an intriguing and exotic-sounding Italian by the name of Mind Enterprises. And last but by no means least: Empress Of, a 23-year-old Brooklyn-based gemstone oozing with gorgeous, jaw-dropping potential.

To recap that's one band who formed whilst living in a hedonistic Liverpudlian mansion, an Internet and interview timid bedroom producer and a solo artist from Turin who can only make music in total darkness. All aboard the one way train to Wackyville!


Honestly though Hari and Jack have worked their absolute backsides off for this label, spending hour after hour scouring the Internet in search of their next incredible release, and that's why I'm absolutely elated with the widespread attention that both Double Denim and every one of their artists have received.

Oh and did I mention that their forthcoming compilation LP features a guest appearance from none other than Miss I Crashed My Car Into A Bridge herself Charli XCX alongside one of my favourite beatmakers of the moment J£ZUS MILLION. Clearly "too much of a good thing" isn't a phrase Double Denim have in their vocabulary.

Double Denim is, in my humble opinion, one of the finest new indies floating around Britain today; they're incredibly critical but with impeccable tastes, accepting only the crème de la crème de la crème of emerging music. It must be in their jeans.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment