Wednesday 8 February 2012

Hype, Ripe and A Load Of Tripe: mixing divine jazz with afrobeat freestyles? Only on Bedge Music

As a proud and dedicated Radio 1 follower, I must listen to over two-hundred songs a week and, frankly, I can't review them all. Here are five tracks I heard over the week and think I should share with all of you guys.

HYPE - three up-and-coming artists I'm getting really excited about

Gianmarco Liguori: having nearly moved me to tears, this New Zealander psychedelic jazz master of guitars, synths, percussion and electronics has got together with several big names in the scene down under for breathtaking 12" on his own label called Duga-3 that I can honestly say, even if you've never listened to any harmonious, space jazz before in your life, will still blow your socks off in awe. I'm just as guilty as anyone for overusing the word "beautiful" but, when it comes to Liguori, I make no apologies.


Jack Robert Hardman: with a debut album out very soon, the multi-talented singer/guitarist/part time remixer has one very distinctive sound - motherfolking gorgeous. Famous is the spine-tinglingly brilliant first single with a wonderfully acoustic alt-pop melody and lovely lyrics of love sung by a voice so warming Ben Howard would be envious. Just in time for Valentine's day as well...


Anton Romero: the song I've had on repeat for the past week is Donae'o and his first signing Anton Romero's crazy Charlie In The Chocolate freestyle over the mad Oliver Twist beats by D'banj. The RnB singer/MC has a voice perfect for both the afrobeat party and Lemar style love ballads showing both a fun and romantic side whilst making an absolute banger. I'm not just tipping him for greatness in the afrobeat community, I'm talking the whole Black British scene all together.


RIPE - an old-school record that's still sounding fresh today


A LOAD OF TRIPE - a truly, truly dreadful song that I never want to hear again in my life

No comments:

Post a Comment